Tuesday, June 11, 2013

It's Tonys Day....... Need I say more?

We have now been in New York for a week and it is finally Tonys Day!
Our morning was spent in a very exciting way...... we did laundry. Yay for us! (No no really. That's a good thing)

We decided to eat in for lunch, seriously the sushi from D'Agostinos is pretty good. While we were there, I was was wandering around separate from mum and suddenly she came screaming up the aisle telling me to follow her as she had just seen an actress. I played it cool while we went back down the aisles scoping it out and when I'll played it cool just glancing around, Mum kind of poked me and whispered "there she is!" as Anna Kendrick walked by.

Couple of things:
1. Mum could not recall the name of the actress even though it closely resembles her mother's name, and
2. We will really need to teach her to play it cool when around celebrities or otherwise I'm going to be black and blue by the end of the Tonys.

Ok enough embarrassing mum stories.

Then it was time for our pamper afternoon. We were going to a salon just 2 blocks up that I found and booked online. Had absolutely no idea what to expect. We were shuttled into separate rooms and it started.

I had washed my hair to rid it of the city grime and it was still wet whenI got there. W discussed possibly a half up do and she started to dry my hair. She kept remarking that I had a lot of hair (Mel, my hair dresser would understand that statement as usually I have 2 people drying my hair). At one point she stated that I had about 3 times the amount of hair than the average person.

She then proceeded to put my hair in huge rollers before setting about doing my make up. I could hear mum chatting away in the other room. After the lady completed my makeup which was understated and really good, she started to take out the rollers and the decision was made right there and then to simply leave it out as, in her words, I had "news anchor" hair. Hair was just sitting right and looked great.

After mum finished up with her manicure and makeup, we headed back to the apartment to get ready and head to Radio City Music Hall.

As we neared the venue we could see the barricades and large police presence. The taxi dropped us off and we headed up to Del Frisco's (almost becoming regulars now) for a bite to eat before entering the venue.

I had never been inside the Radio City Music Hall and I was a little excited. Most of the people at the event had certainly taken the Black Tie requirement to heart with a lot of suits and beautiful dresses. The line moved quickly and before long we were in our seats in the second mezzanine. I guess the view was ok:




Just before the show started I popped out to grab a drink and the wonderful lady at the bar asked me for ID. For an almost 40 year old, I wanted to kiss her!

The Tony Awards ceremony was fantastic. Couple of comments:
* Neil Patrick Harris should host every awards ceremony around the world. He could make a career of just doing that.
* Opening number was electric
* being broadcast live there were ad breaks and as we came back we were told when to applaud (no cheesy "applause" sign just a voice over guy who seemed to like to keep himself entertained)
* do not wear an elaborately beaded dress if you intend to applaud a lot...... That hurts after a while
* saw plenty of celebrities but managed to escape relatively unscathed

After the ceremony and fighting through the crowds we headed towards our luxury transportation for the return home .... the subway.

We walked Jane Lynch to her SUV. Ok perhaps it was just a coincidence that we were walking in the same direction. Although she did smile at me, however have a feeling the it was a "please don't be a crazed fan" smile more than anything.

So that is the Tonys experience. It has cemented in me the desire to see more and more productions, plays and musicals and has also confirmed that I am a theatre geek.

Tune in for the next instalment to see what long walks and me wearing grey results in and also, the Guggenheim - did the scaffolding curse strike again.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad


No comments:

Post a Comment