Thursday, June 6, 2013

Twenty blocks is a mile.....

Wednesday dawned bright, as did the hangover.

It's funny when I have hangovers when travelling, I don't like to just not do things or stop others doing things so I grit my teeth and get on with the day. I'll admit I'm not usually talkative or necessarily a pleasant person during this time however I'm at least out and about. (I must have done a fairly good job of covering it up though because mum didn't become aware of it until last night hehe).

Today was another walking day and we headed off down Greenwich street towards the financial district and Battery Park. The original intent was to visit the 9/11 tribute centre and Memorial however we decided the lines were too long and headed off to the South Street Seaport to grab the Water Taxi.

The water taxi was a great way to get back up Manhattan island with the added bonus of getting us as close as we could to the Statue of Liberty. The Lady is currently closed, as is Ellis Island, due to damage caused by Superstorm Sandy.

By this stage I knew the only thing that was going to help my hangover was a greasy burger and the only thing really not helping was the choppy water we were currently on. After docking at the 44 St pier next to the Intrepid Museum, we made our way 5 blocks in and 6 blocks up back to the Del Frisco's Grille where my hangover was finally abated.

Here mum and I went separate ways. Mum went to the Frick and Whitney museums (have to be so careful when saying that as it has a tendency to come out as "Frick'n Whitney"), while I headed back to Broadway in the hopes of getting a ticket to Annie.

I am a self confessed Gleek and the thought of Sue Sylvester as Miss Hannifanfeally appealed to me. Also helped that Australia's own, Anthony Warlow, was Daddy Warbucks. As can be imagined, being a matinee there were a LOT of kids (thank god the hangover was gone!). The show was awesome and had great energy.

After the show I walked the 37 blocks back to the apartment to find put how mum's afternoon had been. When I got to the apartment I found mum with her feet elevated. Her ankles had swollen due to a slight injury before our travels and the large amount of walking we had done in a relatively short time frame.

However she did enjoy the museums and I'll let her recount her experience here. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Lynn Vernon to the blog *applause*.....

"The Whitney and the Frick have been on my list for years and did not disappoint. At the Whitney - they had a Hopper exhibition (one of my favourites) -14 notable paintings exhibited alongside the drawings and studies used in the development of the paintings - extraordinary access to his process. They also had the latest a Hockney video installation (another favourite).

The Frick is mind blowing - the collection comprises an amazing number of Old Master paintings and European sculpture and decorative arts all in a huge old Gilded Age mansion - itself a special tranquil and elegant space in which to view the art. The current special exhibition is of drawings by all the important Impressionists- interestingly the we several studies for some of the paintings we saw recently at the Toulouse-Lautrec exhibition in Canberra.

.........together they were almost to much in to little time.....will probably go back again"

Ok I've wrestled the ipad back off mum, geez. Now back to me (because it is all about me!)

After a quick rest it was back up to Broadway for the next play and my 3rd Broadway show in 24 hours. We hadn't eaten so after grabbing a cab we went into a little place on the corner of 8th and W44th. We told them we wanted a quick bite and the waiter definitely looked after us.

After our snack we headed out and met with a sight I didn't like, a line a mile long...... Thank god it was for Phantom of the Opera not for Lucky Guy which we were heading to see in the theatre next door.

I booked Lucky Guy because it starred Tom Hanks and I had no idea what the play was about.

Not only did Hanks shine in this final work by Nora Ephron, a dramatised recounting of the career of journalist Mike McAlary, the cast included such greats as Maura Tierney, Christopher McDonald, Peter Gerety, Courtney B Vance, Peter Scolari and the list goes on. I can see why the play has received 6 Tony nominations.

While waiting for the play to start I was undertaking own of my favourite pastimes, people watching. My eyes fell upon an attractive man and I was thinking he looked familiar however shook it off and who on earth would I know in New York. My eyes then fell upon the equally attractive man he was with and I turned to mum, slapped her arm perhaps and little hard and whispered "That's Neil Patrick Harris!". The gentleman I had first seen was of course his fiancé David Burtka. Wow I was just a few rows back.

What I loved was the fact that there they were simple audience members being treated no differently to anyone else. That's New York for you. At the end of the play they were the first to their feet to give the cast a well deserved standing ovation.

We headed home (getting pretty good at finding taxis even in the heart of Broadway) and started to plan the next 5 shows we are going to see.

Well that's it all caught up. I apologise that the blogs are getting lengthy however we are starting to fit a lot into each day.

Til next time.......


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment