Wednesday, June 12, 2013

I found a sure fire method to ensure rain.....

Mum was heading off to Connecticut for the day so I was being left to my own devices. Mum left early, I fell back asleep only to be woke by sirens. Oh the joys.

So I got dressed and took my News Anchor hair and set off. Got downstairs looked out and......

Let's try this again.... So I got dressed, took my News Anchor hair AND grabbed an umbrella and set off.

First stop 50th street subway. Now I should explain, one thing I had not done to date was eat vendor food of any description so today was a "vendor food day". All food to be consumed was to be purchased from vendors. And before anyone points out that vendor food is perhaps not the best.... Museums are closed on Mondays and therefore Mondays must also be calorie free days. Makes sense to me.

So get off at 50th street and walk into the nearest Starbucks (ok it's not a vendor but come on, it's Starbucks!) As I was trying to work out how to order my triple shot grande latte with 2% milk, no whip and a shot of sugar free vanilla (I so could have done that a la Meg Ryan), I look up and the heavens smiled upon me. Right there on the board was "Skinny Vanilla Latte". Seriously did they know I was coming?

Next stop, pretzel vendor. The rain started getting heavier as I balanced my coffee and pretzel. I wandered to my desired breakfast spot....




After eating about a quarter of the pretzel, geez they are salty,

I continued up Fifth Avenue towards my next destination. I actually took a little detour and scooted over to Madison Avenue for a look around and stumbled across the Carlyle Hotel where one of the post Tony Awards parties were held however no celeb sightings. I headed back to Fifth and continued north towards 89th street.

Flashback 6 years......

I'm not a huge fan when it comes to museums. I mean I appreciate what I appreciate however I don't usually seek out museums. However the Solomon R Guggenheim Museum called to me for one reason and one reason alone, the building. An iconic structure I wanted to stand in front of its grandeur and when dad and I made the trip up Fifth Avenue that faithful day 6 years ago, I held my breath as we neared and saw this.....





NOOOOOOOOooooooooo........

So as I neared this time, I took a deep breath while trying to main some semblance of dryness is the increasing horrible weather. And......





Yay!

I decided to venture into Central Park and somehow came out the other side (seriously no idea how that happened) so I wandered up and down so,e of the streets of the West Side and then decided to wander back.

Outside the natural history museum I decided to grab the next course in my vendor food day, a New York hotdog





Ok let's keep going, got a long way to go. See my plan for the day was to walk back from 90th street to the apartment, approximately 80 blocks or 4 miles. I knew it would be easy however the weather seemed to have another plan. The rain started come in sideways and can as shoes and an ill timed step in a puddle meant that I was wet, the shoes were wet and new blisters were forming quickly.

So walking along streets like these ......




I made my way to the 59th Street subway and on my way home.

Now you'll recall I said I still had my News Anchor hair from the Tonys? Well um.....





That was with an umbrella! And that top, not that dark a grey when I started.

I finally got home, peel my socks off and wrung them out, had a hot shower and then a nap before mum got home.

For dinner, we scooted off to Charlemagne on the corner and then turned in for the night.

Tune in next time (and I promise to update soon), to find out what cronuts, pizza, scaffolding and newspaper boys all have in common....


Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment