Thursday, June 6, 2013

Surprises all around

The apartment we have is a loft apartment and I'm staying in the loft bedroom. Early Tuesday morning I heard mum gently calling up asking if I was ready to get up. I may have groaned a little before rolling over and calling down "Sure".

I came downstairs and started making the coffee as mum explained that she thought I would want to get up because it was almost 9am. I stopped what I was doing, looked up, looked her square in the eye and said..... "Um mum, it's 6:55am".

As her phone was still on Australian time she had seen what was almost 9pm and took that from 9am.... Oops.

We have worked out that little opens much before 10 so our mornings are developing into relaxed affairs. Today we were on a mission, to find my outfit for the Tonys on Sunday.

Now for those who have know Mum and I long enough would understand that the prospect of a shopping trip that involves Mum and I is a scary scary event. (Not only for each other but also for all those around).

After the mega walk on Monday and a little bit (read: a LOT) of aches and pains we grabbed a taxi up to Macy's. We headed right to the dresses, took a deep breath and plunged in.

Then a couple of things happened......

1. We found 2 dresses to try on within 2 minutes (that NEVER happens)
2. The first dress looked like it was a winner (um have we slipped into an alternate universe)

As I couldn't believe it could be that easy, I wandered around having a look at what else was there and after choosing a couple more we settled on one.

Now we have a slight problem..... That took us about 4 hours less than we had planned, now what?

We made our way up to Radio City Music Hall to pick up the tickets for Sunday's event and then wandered over to find lunch. We settled upon Del Frisco's Grille nestled in Rockerfeller Plaza (review to follow).

We also happened across another store, Anthropologie, and amazingly had another successful shopping experience.

I had decided that I was going to go to the matinee of Newsies so mum walked back with me to W41st. As we neared the theatre there was a weird high pitched hum in the air, we turned the corner and saw a line of children that snaked around half the block all heading into...... Newsies.

So with heads down we surged past the theatre and grabbed a taxi for home.

A little later that after, after making my feet presentable with fresh nail polish we headed back to Macy's to try on shoes. Um, this can't be happening, first pair of shoes are perfect!

We were off to see the first Broadway production for this trip, a re-imagining of Macbeth starring Alan Cumming. I was a little unsure of this as Macbeth was not exactly Mum's favourite, it was essentially a one man show and the main character was a patient in a mental institute.

So...............it was brilliant! Alan Cumming easily transitioned between the characters though small changes in posture and voice. The whole production was extremely well done.

(Mum and I however struggled a little as the 2 double drinks that we had at Hard Rock Cafe were making us a little sleepy).

Home time, a couple more drinks and bed time. Day two is done and dusted.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment